Sunday, March 18, 2007

Contemplating the NinePatch, 92”X50”, 1994, $10,000

This quilt was exhibited in Quilt National ‘95, and received the Quilts Japan Award ‘95. As a result, Therese May traveled to Japan to give lectures in Tokyo and Osaka as well as to see the beautiful country of Japan.

“For this quilt I began with the idea that I appreciate the tradition of the patchwork quilt and especially the nine patch pattern, which is simply a block made up of nine squares. I made a large nine patch with lots of embellishment--paint, buttons, beads, etc. Then, I felt like I wanted to make some kind of statement about my admiration. So I made a portrait of myself to put next to it, contemplating the nine patch.” Machine appliqué, fabric, thread, buttons, beads, braids, painted panels, polymer clay.

Post a Comment